SailNet Community - View Single Post - kiwigrip For 37 foot sailboat
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 11-16-2017
Jeff_H
Administrator
 
Jeff_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Annapolis, Md
Posts: 8,733
Thanks: 33
Thanked 425 Times in 355 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Re: kiwigrip For 37 foot sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanski View Post
An Alberg 30 was Kiwigripped on the cheap at my marina this summer. Looks like absolute crap! There is such a thing as too thin an application. Think they tried to stretch 2 litres to do the entire boat. I watched them work at it for a while. Actually had to loan them a utility knife to cut tape. Come to think of it I never got that Olfa knife back!
They also used Interlux Brightsides on some areas, also looks like crap - wasn't rolled and tipped, just brushed on - full of runs, dead bugs and brush marks.
If you're going to do it, do it right, follow the instructions! Remember painting is 90% prep 10% painting.
Planning on doing my deck this spring, hull was painted last spring. The deck will be a DIY project. 2 part polyurethane on the smooth areas, Kiwigrip over the worn non-skid.
Stripping ALL the deck hardware, masking everything. The poly will go down first on the non skid areas, mask then the KG. Oh Ya it will be primed with 2 part Interlux epoxy primer before anything.
I would like to make suggestion. I am going through this process on my boat. I am planning to do my boat in three separate sections; cockpit, cabin top and sides, and decks. This fall I stripped all of the hardware and electronics out of my cockpit, primed and painted it and now I am reinstalling the hardware. (Who knew there were 44 pieces of hardware and electronics in my cockpit (and that does not include the binnacle and its braces which I taped around.)

I formerly was a Bightsides, Interlux guy. I had used it for decades. But I found that the Brightsides and the Interlux primers seemed to take a huge number of coats to get good coverage and frankly did not seem to hold up all that well.

Last year, I recored the deck in my cockpit (which is actually the hatch for the liferaft compartment) and painted it. As an experiment I used 'PetitProtect' which is their epoxy primer. It is a much higher build primer than the Interlux and so was able to get by with a single coat. It does not brush out as nicely as the Interlux. Because it is only a single coat, even though it required more sanding per coat, but less sanding overall. (I am experimenting with thinning it slightly and that helps a lot with getting it to flow out.)

I also used Petit's "Easypoxy', which is a single part brushable paint. Petit makes a product that they call a 'Performance Enhanser' that is added to the Easypoxy to improve it sheen, UV protection, hardness, shorten drying time, and improve workability. It only required two coats of the Easypoxy to equal the 3-4 coats of Brightsides that I had been doing. I was very pleased with the ease of working with the Petit, how the finished paintjob came out, and way that the cockpit sole held up.

I have now used for the rest of my cockpit and I am even more pleased with the product, (even if I am less pleased with my workmanship and my decision to apply the final coat when it was supposed to drizzle that night which resulted in a 7 foot job.)

You might want to look into the Petit products.

Jeff


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Jeff_H is online now  
 
 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome