SailNet Community - View Single Post - CS33 electrical panel(s)
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 11-27-2017
Maine Sail
Super Moderator

Re: CS33 electrical panel(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailymirror View Post
I've been looking at the breaker panels on my 1981 CS33 with some scepticism just lately. I haven't had any issues, but just how reliable and safe can a nearly 40 year old marine breaker panel be?

Has anyone in the CS owners group replaced their electrical breaker panels recently?

Where to start? What went well? What didn't? Any traps to watch out for? Recommendations and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
CS built a brick $hit-house of a boat but wiring was not their strong point. Most of it was undersized for the purpose, not properly color coded for DC, and the AC wring was a complete joke.

As a result I did a 100% re-wire of our CS-36T a number of years ago, 2009-1010 IIRC. Even as a professional marine electrician it still took well over 100 hours of labor. You can replace just the panel, a good idea, but the wiring is where the meat of the safety issues are.

This gallery contains just a few of the images taken during the process. Start at the bottom for the basic re-wire images not the at the top...

CS-36T Re-Wire:

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
dailymirror (11-27-2017), Guyfromthenorth (11-27-2017)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome