SailNet Community - View Single Post - CS33 electrical panel(s)
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 11-28-2017
Maine Sail
Super Moderator

Re: CS33 electrical panel(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabeau View Post
Maine Sail: Extremely neat and concise work. Love the details and annotations you have provided. I have two questions, 1, what type of label making tool are you using? and 2, At the top of your negative buss coming off the negative battery pole, you have a shunt installed connecting to the remainder of the negative buss. What is the purpose of this shunt? Thank you for all you do.

Label maker is an elcheapo Brother P-Touch, I have about 4 or 5 currently. I use their 1/2" Tze tape and find it holds up to heat guns as well as any of my "electrical grade" label makers did..

I have been through 4 "electrical grade" label printers, Dymo/Rhino, Brady & Brother, and find them no better, insanely expensive and they break just as easily. Repairs on these devices are cost prohibitive so when they break you toss out a $150.00 + tool. I have broken every professional grade label maker I've purchased, the Rhino lasted three weeks, and it is not just the cost of the label maker. If you try another brand, after breaking one, as I did, all your in-stock tapes/tube etc. are now useless..

On top of that the tape or heat shrink tubing for the professional grade label makers is INSANELY expensive and I was having to charge my customers and INSANE price on labels.

For example I was paying about $34.00 for the heat shrink labels for battery cable. For the Rhino I was only getting 5' of shrink tube or $6.80 per foot!

The Tze tape is about $9.00 for 26' or .35 per foot. Even with the clear shrink over it I am WAY cheaper than the "electrical grade" label tools. Course my Brother P-touch label makers usually cost me under $10.00 and often come with a spool of label tape. When they break, and they do, I have no qualms disposing of them.. I grab them at Staples on-sale...

The wire is marked two ways a "Sharpie" then the Tze label over that and then clear heat shrink over the label.

I have two shunts;

#1 For the Ah counter that measures all loads into and out of the house bank reads net current into or out of bank..

#2 A DC panel shunt, at the DC panel, that measures DC panel loads. This measures only loads off DC panel for accurate at a glance idea of actual house loads with exceptions to high amp loads such as the inverter and engine starter motor.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-28-2017 at 07:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
john61ct (11-28-2017)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome