SailNet Community - View Single Post - N28-2 factory AC wiring
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 12-07-2017 Thread Starter
MitchK

Re: N28-2 factory AC wiring

All, thanks for the replies.

In my home, you are correct in that the common and building ground are tied together, but not at the breaker panel. They are tied together at the meter base where the electrical utility comes in. It is isolated like that for a reason.

The main reason I am not using the installed AC system, is like you said, What else did they do. I did find a splice in the AC wiring up in the bow that has the same nut/bolt/electrical tape connection, so I just do not trust it not to do bad things.

I do understand ABCY codes, along with the NEC, that is why I am re-wiring the system. With the common and ground (AC) tied together, it makes it impossible to isolate the boats electrical system from the marinas electrical system. I have not yet determined if the AC ground and DC -12 are tied together. Hopefully this weekend I can find out.

Fortunately, the electrical systems on my Newport are pretty simple. I did rebuild the DC panel and add individual fuses for each of the DC circuits. The AC circuit only has 4 or 5 receptacles. I will also be adding boxes behind the receptacles with wire restraints.

Mitch

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome