SailNet Community - View Single Post - Useful Gear
Thread: Useful Gear
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 12-14-2017
Minnewaska

Re: Useful Gear

Endoscope camera. They run between $50 and $100 on Amazon. My current (second) one, connects via wifi to my iphone and uses it's display. You can spend a bunch more and get one that has it's own camera, but it's also bigger and harder to store. The types that use a phone or computer for display take up no room.

I've used it to inspect my heat exchanger, find things dropped under floor boards or tankage that would have previously been lost forever, looked to see if the transmission seam was leaking from below, tracked a deck leak behind some cabinetry, etc. Invaluable.

My first use for it was to go hunting for a toilet paper holder that a guest had dropped into the cabinet below the sinkand it disappeared below the liner that creates the head floor. I snake the camera down about 3 feet and there it is. A piece of balled up duct tape on the end of a flexible retrieval tool, guided via the camera, and I'm back in business!! Of course, my first attempt was to buy a new plastic toilet paper holder, but quickly learned that the pins on the side were not standard and nothing in the hardware store fit.

When I was down there, looking for the dropped part, I couldn't believe what I found. Paper towels, a roll of toilet paper, all sort of toiletries. Folks has been dropping things down there fore approx 6 years! I then went and checked the other heads too and found even more. I found a screw driver that was pretty nice, which I imagine was dropped by someone trying to install or repair. I also found a bottle of wood glue. What that was for, I'll never know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome