SailNet Community - View Single Post - Drone for rigging inspections
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 12-15-2017
Minnewaska

Re: Drone for rigging inspections

I just flew a drone for the first time a month or so back. It was a DJI Mavic Pro. I have no idea where that sits in the spectrum of quality. It did fold up into a small package, so that would be an advantage to have aboard.

It was very easy to fly. Hands off and it just stopped mid air. I flew it down a canyon and took a vid of a waterfall. Returned and landed with ease.

However, as easy as it was, I would measure flight accuracy in a couple of feet, not inches. Way too much variability to get very close to rigging. One might be able to see a major malfunction better, like a missing bolt, cotter or clevis ring aloft, but it would never get close enough to inspect for cracks or meat hooks.

I admit, after flying it, I was challenging myself over a couple of beers to make up a reason to need one. Personally, I HATE seeing them flying around anchorages or marinas. They make an annoying sound and give off the social grace of a peeping tom. If there was a malfunction, they could damage others property. No thanks. I would love to get a vid of our boat underway, but getting good enough to depart and return to a moving vessel is one thing. Then I would never feel the need to do it again.

The battery in this model was good for 20 mins max. Not very useful for navigating, but very useful to explore secluded nearby places.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome