SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a Bluewater Family Cruiser
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 12-21-2017 Thread Starter
chall03
Picnic Sailor

Buying a Bluewater Family Cruiser

About three years ago almost to the day I sold my last boat.

Since then life has been a blur of work, parenting, and collapsing on the couch with a glass of cheap wine and scouring yachtworld every night.

My wife has always wanted to sail the Med. I have promised her repeatedly that one day we would get there. Of course to get to Europe by boat from Australia is somewhat of an ordeal. Besides given the boat market seemed far more buoyant in Europe it would also be a little bit akin to taking tea to China perhaps?

So over wine and yachtworld we have decided to buy a boat in the Med and bring it back to OZ.

We have a boat selection mantra. Moderate everything. We want a mid sized, mid priced, moderate displacement, moderate and modern as money can buy yacht.

- A 10 – 15 year old boat.
- Preferably Centre Cockpit
- Definitely GRP
- About 41-50 foot
- Reasonable performance.
- Ready to cruise, no refits thanks.
- Budget under 150k US.

Have looked at and considered.....

Moody 425
Moody 44
Moody 42
Westerly Oceanlord 41
Westerly Ocean 43
Hallberg Rassy 42F
Hallberg Rassy 45/46
Amel Super Maramu

So the British boats feature prominently in this list because they seem to have the design/layout we seek, respectable performance and build quality at a price that sits within our budget when buying in Europe.

Give us your opinions denizens of Sailnet!

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome