SailNet Community - View Single Post - How nervous are you?
View Single Post
post #38 of Old 12-22-2017
SanderO

Re: How nervous are you?

I don't get nervous, but in the back of my mind... what would I do in the middle of the harbor if the engine crapped out and it was windy and only a few tens of boats to careen into. I have a remote cockpit switch for the windlass and it's shallow so I don't need a lot of scope and the holding is fine, Newport is another story however.

My concern is being in control of my boat... and keeping it away from other boats and hard things. Last season my steering decided not to work when I was about to approach the town dock for fuel or water.

I was under AP going down the channel and switched over to manual steering to come along side.... but turning the helm did nothing. YIKES. I had to think fast and dropped the RPM to idle and tried to re engage the AP... which is mechanically engaged to the rudder post with a teleflex cable that pulls a pin into an alignment slot. So if the AP was not disengaged in center helm I have to turn the helm while I pull the teleflex to engage it. I could not turn the rubber with the helm so I had "hunt" for the right spot with the course knob. The course was essentially down the middle to the narrow channel... so once the pin engaged I would be going past the dock...

And this is what happened. Now I had to turn the boat 180 and drive it over to my mooring 3/4 mile on the far side of the mooring field and pick up the mooring steering with the AP. I was lucky and got it on the second pass. That could have been a real disaster but it was nothing. I took the binnacle apart and had to re place / re install 4 bolts. Fixed. Dodged a few bullets there.

Lessons learned... check all major systems... engine... steering before going anywhere.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 12-24-2017 at 09:51 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome