SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

127K views 1K replies 57 participants last post by  T37Chef 
#1 ·
To all a happy and safe New Year from Haleakula
Here’s to a great sailing season on the Chessie
Mods please make this a sticky. Thanks

#43 ·
Worton Creek and Rock Hall are two areas I hope to check out in the spring when I come down. I may also look at Delaware Bay as an option. My Macgregor 25 is not water ballast like the newer powersailers with the big motor. My keel is cast iron and weights about 625 lbs. I have a 9.9 hp Yamaha 4 stroke and my hull speed is just over 6 knots So a longer drive may be what is needed.

#44 ·
Like I mentioned the further south the costlier The marina usually. Both Worton and especially Rock Hall good areas

Forget Delaware Bay. It's a Sailboat death zone.

We transit it most years. Notice I said transit. 85% of the time under motor. Very very few places to go. Major current swings 4-5 knots , some of the roughest water to sail in. Big sweeping T storms with no where to go even with 4 hours notice.

Did I mention rough. Delaware Bay and it's frequent afternoon square waves when the onshore breeze kicks in at 20 against the current can stop a boat and have it going backwards.

Oh did I mention the NJ stAte bird. The green fly. It draws blood till you kill it. It has squadrons of followers with a "next man up " mentality. Finds any exposed skin and hides in the reeds and marshes on the NJ and Delaware side lining the Bay and river south of the Salem nuke plant.

Delaware Bay will make you become a powerboater for sure.

Reactions: Sixpak
#48 ·
Lowest I ever saw it at MYC was 6 years ago on a similar blowout tide for thee days.

The green 3 off of the club rocks was walkable in dry sand. Slips up to 14 from the shore, boats were wallowing in the mud held upright ( kind of) by their dock lines. Convinced some of he resident members who were there then to move their slips outward on the piers.

#49 ·
Just got back from Haleakula the Marina and our bubbler were working perfectly. Whitehall Creek had ice in on by most of the Marino’s clear.

Bald Eagles were in the trees above it looking for food in the open water.

She was floating nicely in her slip with 4ft of wTer under her keel where the lowest we’ve seen is 11 ft. Too low/ dangerous to climb aboard

Our old canvas is still hanging in there as a protectant so no water pools then freezes and expands in critical areas.

The Marina owners are really good and had been wTching the boats and walking the docks
Weather station there showed air temp 13 degrees, water temp 32.5 degrees. Wind 29 steady gusts to 35. Aside from it being brutally cold was a pretty day

#51 ·
I shoveled the driveway yesterday and went down to the boat to perform yet another test fitting of my new cabin sole pieces.

I found one bubbler hanging in the open air, so I adjusted it downward until it began churning the water again. My hull was exposed to the keel root but sitting upright, thanks to proper adjustment of the docklines. I really can't complain about the West Marine bottom paint. 2 years and not a speck of growth or a single barnacle.

I'm getting very close to the final fit of the cabin sole but it's somewhere between 3F and 5F here this morning and I just don't know if I want to go down there today. The wind is supposed to finally quit today, at least.

#52 ·
I shoveled the driveway yesterday and went down to the boat to perform yet another test fitting of my new cabin sole pieces.

I found one bubbler hanging in the open air, so I adjusted it downward until it began churning the water again. My hull was exposed to the keel root but sitting upright, thanks to proper adjustment of the docklines. I really can't complain about the West Marine bottom paint. 2 years and not a speck of growth or a single barnacle.

I'm getting very close to the final fit of the cabin sole but it's somewhere between 3F and 5F here this morning and I just don't know if I want to go down there today. The wind is supposed to finally quit today, at least.
Might be best to wait until the boat is floating on her waterline anyway. I wouldn't think that hull flex affects the sole dimensions that much, but you never know.

#53 ·
I'm more concerned about dimensions changing due to the extreme temperatures and very low humidity. I may end up building all of this only to have the sole swell up to trap the bilge boards in the summer. In that case, I'll just plane 1/16th" away on the edge trim pieces but it would still be an aggravation.

I (finally) swallowed my fear and laid a coat of varnish on a scrap piece of sole. I had concerns about how this commercial floor varnish would look. Worried for nothing, it looks great and leveled out nicely. I'm going to lay 4 coats on the test piece before I touch the real sole this week but I think it will look pretty good.

Mostly, I'm just concerned about getting my application skills to par so that the finish is nice and even.

#58 · (Edited)
My slip is around 14' deep at normal water level. Plus, I think my boat looks like it has a lot of room because its beam is only 7'. Two of my neighbors' boats, tied up to much shallower piers, heeled way over the other day when their bottoms were touching. It looks like in that situation, if you had time and it weren't deathly cold out, it would have been a good idea to either lash a "leg" to keep the boat upright, or rig an extra dockline. This assumes also that you could actually get on (and off!) the boat when it's that far below its normal position relative to the pier.

#56 ·
My slip is 20 feet wide, but yesterday, you could have walked on the bottom if it were not for the frozen mud that your would likely have broken through to your waist.

Ajax, did you remember the non skid trick I posted about the cabin sole varnish. Add 1 tablespoon of neetsfoot oil to a quart of varnish and it will be non skid, but it does not change the finish appearance at all.

Gary :cool:

#57 ·
My slip is 20 feet wide, but yesterday, you could have walked on the bottom if it were not for the frozen mud that your would likely have broken through to your waist.

Ajax, did you remember the non skid trick I posted about the cabin sole varnish. Add 1 tablespoon of neetsfoot oil to a quart of varnish and it will be non skid, but it does not change the finish appearance at all.

Yes, I remember. I haven't started the sole yet, only a test piece.

#59 · (Edited)
One of our members hiked about halfway across the North East River towards Charlestown yesterday
...Yes, he had floatation, a sled, ropes and folks keeping an eye on him. And no, I don't understand what would possess him to do it.... :)
No worries about the cracking, he drilled out past the tide line and found it about 10 inches thick. The shiny spots are not wet, they are clear ice like a skating rink.

This is a couple miles north of Havre de Grace where trains crossed the Susquehanna in the winter of 1852 -
http://collections.digitalmaryland.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/cator/id/181/rv/singleitem

Attachments

#62 ·
Yesterday after I visited Home I saw a package at the door. New color blocks ( Lewmar HTC 72) to lead the halyards back to the cockpit to replace the 20 year old ones .

Waiting for new blocks for our mainsheet traveler system which will increase it from 4:1 to 6:1

Donna started working on the adjusting the new dinghy cover. Since the fight sits on davits for over 6 months keeping the UV off of it is important. The old cover lasted 6 years and is heavily faded and brittle. Cheap insurance to protect the haplon .

She also is making us a new Bimini. Much easier than last years project the Dodger. Also can really just duplicate the old one as a pattern.

#64 ·
We have an robust anodized mast collar with holes at the base of the mast. The rotating pin ( which could be locked if necessary) at the heads of the blocks Have a snap shackle through them which is then attached to the mast collar

#70 ·
Thank you Mary Lou for all the great information. I really like the idea of dry sailing so I will be sure to check out Maryland Marina. It will most likely be the closest to where I will be. Everyone has been great on this site. Even Ajax_MD. :) I am really looking forward to getting to check out the area.
I know sailing on the Chesapeake will be very different from Lake Champlain. I'm sure I have much to learn but that is one of the things that make sailing so great.

#75 ·
Not sure why I wrote Maryland Marina, though we had friends who kept their boat there, it's a nice place and I believe they do have a ramp and offer the same arrangement.

On the other hand, we actually kept our boats at Bowley's and liked it for the drysail arrangement because they were so much closer to the mouth of the Middle River (less time in the powerboat chop.)

Sorry for the slip of the mind there.

Mary Lou
Rock Hall
(gone to the dark side with a Rosborough 246 - Tara)

#71 ·
Maryland Marina is where my son keeps his powerboat. The only time this place is not fun is weekends, because no one seems to care about their wakes and the damage it can do to others in smaller or slower moving boats. I avoid Middle River like the plague because of this problem. The mouth of the river resembles a washing machine on Saturday and Sunday. Weekdays are fine, though.

Personally, I like Bowley's Quarters Marina better, though the fairways are a bit narrow and the docks are very long. Maryland Marina is much farther upriver and for a sailboat, it's a fairly long trip through the wakes to get to the bay's open waters. Also, I found the prices at Bowley's Quarters Marina significantly less expensive.

Take a look at Bowleys Marina | Family Friendly Resort Marina

Good luck,

#72 ·
I drove to the boat today, and while the weatherman predicted 49 degrees, the boat's cockpit was still ice covered and dangerously slippery. I checked out the batteries, they seemed OK and the solar panel was working just fine keeping the Ph at 1.265 on all cells.

The cover was still in place, thankfully, but my for sale sign had blown off the back of the rail and was inside the cockpit, covered with a thin film of ice. Sure wish it were April instead of January.

April 15th is the tentative splash date, and if the weather cooperates, I hope to be headed to saint somewhere a couple days later. I have a few projects that have to be accomplished before April 15th, but with any kind of luck, I will get them done in short order. The main one is to place a turning block at the base of the mast so I don't have to climb out of the cockpit to raise and lower the main sail. Most of the mast collars I've seen bolt to the deck, so I will probably make my own that attaches to the mast. Don't need anymore holes in the deck than I already have. Then, I still have to find that damned leak in the cabin top. Grrrrrr!

All the best,

#73 ·
I drove to the boat today, and while the weatherman predicted 49 degrees, the boat's cockpit was still ice covered and dangerously slippery. I checked out the batteries, they seemed OK and the solar panel was working just fine keeping the Ph at 1.265 on all cells.

The cover was still in place, thankfully, but my for sale sign had blown off the back of the rail and was inside the cockpit, covered with a thin film of ice. Sure wish it were April instead of January.

April 15th is the tentative splash date, and if the weather cooperates, I hope to be headed to saint somewhere a couple days later. I have a few projects that have to be accomplished before April 15th, but with any kind of luck, I will get them done in short order. The main one is to place a turning block at the base of the mast so I don't have to climb out of the cockpit to raise and lower the main sail. Most of the mast collars I've seen bolt to the deck, so I will probably make my own that attaches to the mast. Don't need anymore holes in the deck than I already have. Then, I still have to find that damned leak in the cabin top. Grrrrrr!

All the best,

Consider a mast band or padeye on the mast if all you want to do is place one turning block with a halyard .

#74 ·
People a thing the Maryland Marina are very friendly.
BTW one of the few places you can pull your boat into a slip and they can roll a cherry picker out beside it to work on your mast.

We have many friends from my years when I was a Commodore at a yacht club and met and traveled to all the yacht clubs on Middle River. They are nice places. People are friendly. Middle River has advantages such as proximity, services and disadvantages as mentioned already. Tons of power boats and wakes, and the ever present planes from Martin State airport.

As you look at places look to see if there are masts. Simple as that. Sailing is fun and many of the spots we found to go are tips from sailors where we are staying. Commaradiere amongst sailors and wives and significant others can make your experience very positive,

Many mega marinas have plenty of boats and sailboats , but no one mingles. I am saying you don’t have to all be best buds, but the socialization could make one place more attractive than another.

Then of course there are private slips. Plenty of them in the Magothy/ Severn River area

#76 ·
Bowleys is a nice place...slips owned by owners and rented out

Advantages
Far out at the end of Middle River so away from lots of wakes, though there are more powerboats than sailboats in the northern
Chesapeake area
Nice marina , friendly people, top notch facilities and amenities- we have friends with a Tartan 3700 who used to keep their boat there
Close to nice anchorages like Worton, Still Pond, Sassafrass, Bodkin, Rock Hall
Anchorages on Magothy, Chester, Annapolis, and Severn reachable in an afternoon.
Cons
Can be expensive
Very very exposed.- no windbreak from virtually all directions. Seen lots of boats rocking in there despite breakwater type diversions
Especially with an eastern component to wind
Peninsula drive in can take a little time at 25 mph depending on traffic
Airplane noise and fuel dump by planes at Martin State Airport

#77 ·
Sounds like Bowley's is much as we remember it. We definitely enjoyed our time there (maybe 4 years almost 20 years ago). Like Chef2sail, I'd be hesitant about keeping a boat in a slip there (although the slip holders seemed quite pleased when we were there). We stored our trailerable boat on its trailer on the hard all rigged and ready to go. We'd come down on a Friday afternoon or early Saturday morning, load up, put the boat in the water and go. We didn't actually spend much time at the marina but it worked really well for us until we decided we'd rather start our weekends on the Eastern Shore. An added plus for us there was that coming from the Philadelphia area, we greatly reduced our time on I-95.

Mary Lou
Rock Hall
(gone to the dark side with a Rosborough 246 - Tara)

#79 ·
In the inner harbor we get the Domino effect, when they offload sugar we get the dust. Smells great but it is a PITA to keep off the decks and it always streaks the hull where the runoff exits the toe rail. I've heard but never confirmed that perhaps there is a bit of jet fuel residue/soot from planes taking off out of Martin to the SE which is pretty much right over Bowleys. Perhaps that's what Chef was referring to. I flew out of Martin for many years and never heard of any fuel dumps. I'm pretty sure the only planes in and out of MTN that would even have that capability would be the National Guard.

#80 ·
In the inner harbor we get the Domino effect, when they offload sugar we get the dust. Smells great but it is a PITA to keep off the decks and it always streaks the hull where the runoff exits the toe rail. I've heard but never confirmed that perhaps there is a bit of jet fuel residue/soot from planes taking off out of Martin to the SE which is pretty much right over Bowleys. Perhaps that's what Chef was referring to. I flew out of Martin for many years and never heard of any fuel dumps. I'm pretty sure the only planes in and out of MTN that would even have that capability would be the National Guard.[/

Yes it's the fuel ash from the Warthogs from the Gaurd planes.

#81 ·
SAFETY AT SEA SEMINAR! The Mariners Museum in Newport News, VA in conjunction with Landfall Navigation of CT, has announced their annual Safety at Sea Seminar. The program, in it's 9th year, is a day long seminar covering topics which include emergency communications, first aid and presentations by the Virginia Pilots, National Weather Service and US Coast Coast Guard. Highlights of the program include a hands-on marine flares demo and liferaft inflation. Attendees will receive the US Sailing Coastal Safety at Sea certification. While other Safety at Sea programs have been directed primarily towards sailing, and in particular offshore sail racers, this program has always had a broader focus on all recreational and even commercial boaters in Hampton Roads/Chesapeake Bay. For more information and to register go to: Safety at Sea - The Mariners' Museum and Park

#82 ·
Well, the weather hit 65 degrees yesterday. It gave me a chance to finish the wiring harness in the mast! I ran it through succesfully (second time's the charm - a few through bolts made things difficult), and it started raining before I could finish attaching the lights. Hopefully on the next warm day, I'll have an anchor light, steaming light, and even a deck light!

#83 ·
Sunny and high in the 60s in Charleston today. We are going to pull the sails today for inspect/repair/clean at the North Sails sail loft at Charleston City Marina. I hope to get some sailing in with some decent weather in February. I expect they'll suggest ordering new sails soon.

We are looking at heading south again in fall 2018 and continuing through the Bahamas and Caribbean spring 2019. I'm going to go with a 100% foresail for the big Caribbean winds and save our 140% genoa for light air areas. Not many options for our furling main since vertical battens are a mess with this mast. Likely all in heavy cruising cloth that is not prone to mildew. The current sails are Neil Pryde. We've had good results with Quantum in St. Thomas, but that has a lot to do with the sail maker.

Anyone have any favorite sail makers?

Cheers, RickG

#85 ·
Visited Haleakula in her slip today . Temp was 52 almost seemed balmy though the wTer temp is 33 with small ice floes. Bubbler working great.
Turned on the ceramic heater and the salon was cozy in 10 minutes or so despite the hatches being open.

Custom canvas for winter has seen better days. It’s lasted at least 15 years but is thin in spots now. Does a great job of protecting her from and water pooling, freezing and it breathes as we leave the bow end open/ and stern so no greenhouse heating of th3 cabin.

Batteries were perfect, not a big worry as AGM don’t really discharge much.

Replaced 3 mast collar blocks ( 32 year old Schaefer’s) with 72 Lewmar Synchros. Theses blocks attach on the perferrated anodized mast collar and the spinnaker , main, and jib halyards run through them.....a deck organizer .....line clutch then to the cockpit. All our lines are organized back to the cockpit. Includes reefing and ez jacks.

Next I replaced the mainsheet blocks and line. Went from 4:1 32 year old Schaefer to a 6:1 Lewmar HTX 60 mm and 1/2 “ Sta Set . Should make adjusting the main much easier. Found all these on sale over the winter at various times including the stay set .

Decided on the new jib today also. Quantum triradial Dimension-Polyant High Aspect seems to fit our type of sailing the best. Good upwind sail. Triple stitched . We went with a 135 as we have a 155 for the dog days of August / July. We have no problem being out in 35 knots so we wanted a sail we could reef down to 110 without killing its shape . The prices were all within $400 of each other ( north, ullman, Doyle, bacon, linthicon. Quantum’s customer service is exceptional, plus they fit the sail as well as check back after a year. Also like the QuAntum reenforcement clew and attachment points over the others. My seamstress ( Donna) very impressed with that aspect pluus our relatively new Quantum mail is well made. Since I bought the new sail, they unannounced didn’t charge me to have the main cleaned this year. I had taken it in after the season in December.

Donna’s finished the new dinghy cover and has started cutting fabric for our new bimini. Reading in another thread about someone sailing without one. I’m too old to bake like that. Ours is designed with windows so you can see the sail.

54 days till sailing season😁

Reactions: punahougirl84
#96 ·
54 days till sailing season😁
No. Now! This was a few days ago, perhaps the first day the ice would let me out (Herring Bay).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.