SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chain locker tangles?
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 01-14-2018
Scotty C-M
Catalina 400 MKII

Re: Chain locker tangles?

Post #6, Mike OReilly, gave you good advice. In fact, there is a lot of good advice in the responces.

You don't know your system yet, so go out and practice. Do it on a really calm day, in a location where you have plenty of room and won't get in anyone's way. You may find that your system needs Oh-My-God a lot of changes, but probably it will work just fine. Practice a bunch of times (like 5 or 10 times). Your boat is relatively small, and you won't have to work too hard (just kidding)! After doing it a few times, you'll probably realize the little "touches" that make your system work. If after 10 tries it's not working for you, then you need to try different ideas. Some of those ideas have been suggested here.

Read a few threads about how to anchor properly (scope, swing, backing-down, etc.) and take your time. Once you get the feel for it, anchoring really is fairly easy. I single-hand and anchor out quite a bit. Practice a bunch in calm conditions and you'll get more and more confident.

By the way, Yes!, mark your anchor chain and line. I have markings at 25' intervals. One of my favorite anchorages is about that depth. When I put 25' out, I start backing down so that the chain does not "pile" on the bottom. It lays out. It also helps to make a mark at 10'. I do this so that I can see when the anchor is comming to the surface.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome