SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chain locker tangles?
View Single Post
post #15 of Old 01-15-2018
MikeOReilly
Old soul

Re: Chain locker tangles?

dreamdoer, in general a tangled rode is not common. But it really depends on your chain locker, itís shape and depth, and how the rode normally piles up. Under normal circumstances it will pile up as it goes in, and come out in reverse just as easily. The chain landing on rope shouldnít increase the chance of a tangle.

The times Iíve run into problems is when my rode pile rolls over on top of itself, usually after Iíve hit heavy seas for a while. But my rode is all-chain.

Iíd recommend feeding the new rode down the hawse pipe as you would normally do when storing it. Then try hauling it back out. If it comes out cleanly ó especially if you do it a few times ó then youíre probably fine.

You could haul a bunch out and flake it on deck as you prepare to anchor, but this presents a possible danger if it should get away from you. Iíd rather get comfortable with it feeding in and out properly.

BTW, yes; mark your rode in some way. How you do it, including what gradients, is up to you. If you normally anchor in shallow waters, then a finer gradient is warranted. Doesnít really matter, as long as you know what it is.

I personally mark every 10 feet in one colour, and every 50 feet in another. I mostly key in on the 50í marks as Iím rolling it out, but sometimes I appreciate the finer detail. As with most things in cruising, thereís no 'single answer.í Whatever works for you is the Right Answer.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOReilly For This Useful Post:
dreamdoer (01-15-2018)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome