SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chain locker tangles?
View Single Post
post #20 of Old 01-15-2018
Arcb

Re: Chain locker tangles?

Dream, i currently have a mixed chain/rope rode. I do occasionally get a tangle in the line but i dont think it should be much of an issue with chain. Either way, its not something i would stress about.

You have a small boat, so you can be really selective about where you anchor. Hopefully you can find a sheltered little bay or creek to anchor in. I cant think of any reason you would want to anchor a boat of that size in more than 10 feet of water.

So, you find your little nook, ideally divoid of most wind and current. You go up to your foredeck, and you drop your 30 feet of chain out. You now have 3:1 scope out which should hold your boat firmly in place which will give you pleanty of time to clear any snags that may or may not occur. There is real safety value to anchoring small boats in shallow coves, basically, if a big boat cant get there, then it cant run into you in the middle of the night.

Another trick you may want to try is, while you are still in open water, go grab your anchor and carry it back to the cockpit, running the rode outside the shrouds and life lines. That way when you reach your destination you can drop your anchor from the cockpit where your tiller and engine controls are. This may or may not work depending on your set up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
dreamdoer (01-15-2018)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome