SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Flying Junior Trolling Motor: Where to put battery?

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  danvon 
#1 ·
Good morning/afternoon sailors!

I'm new to the sailing dinghy world and where we live in St. Mary, GA there is a fair current. My SO would be more comfortable with using an auxiliary motor on our small 14 foot flying junior style sloop to dock and if the wind dies this boat is not easy to row.

We have a trolling motor in mind but I'm wondering where to put the battery?

Super n00b question but am very welcoming to any feedback!

Thank you!

#2 ·
Others with specific FJ experience should respond, however, I would imaging you would want to shoot for a position that does not disrupt how the boat floats. There may be some practical considerations that make this impossible. Obviously, you will need to come up with some way to secure the battery. The only problem with this placement will be that you would need some expensive electrical cables going from midship to stern.

#4 ·
Be sure that you have the battery terminals covered so something metal, like a mast side stay, cannot accidentally drop across the posts when raising the mast..... Don't ask me how I know...
or even water, especially salt water which will conduct current between the battery terminals quite nicely if submerged and you do know that the FJ sailboat can be capsized fairly easily, right?

I don't want to be a killjoy about your plans for a trolling motor but the purist in me says that you would be better off carrying an anchor and a hand held radio rather than a battery and electric trolling motor. Better make it a hand held VHF radio in a sealed plastic bag.

If you are not racing it I can understand the idea of wanting a motor for it but I really feel that the few times you might need it will not be worth the hassle of installing the equipment and keeping it dry and charged up on an FJ when a pair of oars and an anchor (& VHF radio) may save your bacon from getting flushed out with the current.

My verdict: fine idea for an open row boat, bad idea for a sailing dinghy like an FJ.

You asked.

Good luck.

#6 ·
I'd have the same capsize concerns with a gas OB (my memory is that it was not all that hard to flip an FJ) Not to mention that you'd be setting up for a gas/oil spill if the motor got submerged. Those boats were designed to dock under sail. Well worth getting comfortable doing it. It probably sculls fairly easily too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.