SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flying Junior Trolling Motor: Where to put battery?
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 01-23-2018
CalebD
Tartan 27' owner

Re: Flying Junior Trolling Motor: Where to put battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Breeze View Post
Be sure that you have the battery terminals covered so something metal, like a mast side stay, cannot accidentally drop across the posts when raising the mast..... Don't ask me how I know...
or even water, especially salt water which will conduct current between the battery terminals quite nicely if submerged and you do know that the FJ sailboat can be capsized fairly easily, right?

I don't want to be a killjoy about your plans for a trolling motor but the purist in me says that you would be better off carrying an anchor and a hand held radio rather than a battery and electric trolling motor. Better make it a hand held VHF radio in a sealed plastic bag.

If you are not racing it I can understand the idea of wanting a motor for it but I really feel that the few times you might need it will not be worth the hassle of installing the equipment and keeping it dry and charged up on an FJ when a pair of oars and an anchor (& VHF radio) may save your bacon from getting flushed out with the current.

My verdict: fine idea for an open row boat, bad idea for a sailing dinghy like an FJ.

You asked.

Good luck.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome