SailNet Community - View Single Post - Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs
View Single Post
post #110 of Old 02-24-2018
SanderO

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes, all an AP can do is drive the rudder position....but the basic algorithms are the same.

Mark
There is a diminishing return. My AP has steered 10s of thousands of miles... coastal, off shore. It's not perfect but it does better than I do and doesn't need rest or food. The course plots are damn good... But sure there is some wandering.

The AP does not have the full range of helm rotation.... it basically MOSTLY makes rather small course corrections based on whatever data it is using. If I wanted to turn hard over instantly.... AP can't do it. I can manually.

So for example when I approach the fuel dock in NPT... I approach heading south in the channel and make a tight as possible 180 even using reverse to kick the stern over. Not possible with the AP. Tight AP 180 won't work because there is not enough sea room... I use AP until I am ready to execute the turn. I doubt a new gen AP would do this.

I see little reason to "upspec".... but I would need to experience it to make the determination.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 02-24-2018 at 10:42 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome