SailNet Community - View Single Post - Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs
View Single Post
post #125 of Old 02-24-2018
colemj

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
That's good feedback. Yes, my experience has been on older units. I know that the Vendee boats rely almost exclusively on AP (Lecomble & Schmitt I believe) - so I have no doubt that the technology has come a long, long way.

I guess what bugs me so much about that video is that they are sitting inside watching as the boat - at least to my eye - gets increasingly out of control. And they are talking about "breaking records". To me, and please let me know if this is wrong, they are completely disconnected from reality. It just looks like they are, as you say, "leaving it to the AP" - but their problem isn't steering - it's boat control. Therefore, it seems they are asking FAR too much of that AP and should be DOING something to maintain safety.
Lecomble and Schmitt only make hydraulic drive units. I believe the autopilots on all of those boats are either B&G or NKE. These two brands are pretty much all professional racing boats use, and the technology is carried down into their consumer products (the important and proprietary parts are mostly just algorithms and software after all).

I agree, and have tried to state in different ways that there is no way we would find ourselves in that state. I don't know why the discussion got focused on autopilots and how to use them properly when doing 27kts in bad seas in a production catamaran - autopilots are completely beside the point here, and are rather like debating the car stereo while doing 100mph on an icy road with bald tires.

The boat shouldn't be allowed in that state period. If it was properly set to a reasonable speed, their would be no danger regardless of the quality of the autopilot.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

Last edited by colemj; 02-24-2018 at 12:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to colemj For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (02-24-2018)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome