SailNet Community - View Single Post - Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs
View Single Post
post #162 of Old 02-24-2018
chef2sail

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

Weve chartered multi hulls twice in the Carribean. Definately like the extra room. Especially with a couple of couples on board.

I learned on a Hobie 16 and my daughter and I raced them for a number of years in her teens and were ranked in NJ where we had one on the beach in front of our house. Sailing two hulls takes a little getting used to in seas over 6 ft no doubt. Close hulled is a technique learned. I love the increase in speed they have.

I doubt cats will ever increase in the northeast where there are very few moorings and dock space is expensive,
The increased cost of a cat will further divide the younger sailors from purchasing them so the demographics of the cat crowd will continue
To be the aging sailors with disposable income

Fact is one of the biggest safety feature a monohull has in increased wind is its keel and the weight in the water . I would rather be in a displacement hull than a powerboT like ride skipping like a stone across the top of the water. I dont need a lecture about the dagger boards etc, nothing like having 7- 10,0000 lbs planted 5 ft plus under the boat.

Cats will always have a specialized niche in sailing and racing , but become the majority.....I think not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.- Dennis Conner

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome