SailNet Community - View Single Post - North Cove Moorings are available (Old Saybrook, CT)
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 03-07-2018 Thread Starter
billsull

North Cove Moorings are available (Old Saybrook, CT)

Due to the ongoing dredging project expanding the mooring field, there is currently no waiting list for moorings in North Cove - I don't recall that happening in the 27 years I've been in town.

I'm really looking forward to being able to swing on my mooring all day long instead of three hours on either side of high tide! The entrance channel and main mooring field is going to be dredged to 11 feet at MLW and the sides of the mooring field will be dredged to 6 feet for shallow draft vessels. It's a beautiful and protected spot and best of all, it's below the Amtrak RR bridge, so we have access to the Sound without waiting for the bridge. The town is also starting a long-overdue renovation of the town dock at North Cove, so we should be enjoying that soon also.

By the way, for those that were interested in the thread from last year regarding transient moorings around Long Island Sound, North Cove moorings are available for up to 72 hours - look for the moorings with a yellow ribbon attached. As mooring holders, when we know that the boat will be away from the mooring for an extended period of time, we put the ribbon on the float to mark it as available. All I ask is that you let me raft up if I get back and find you on my mooring! There is also a town mooring that is open to transients - come all the way west into the cove and its the last mooring ball before you bump into the town dock.

I can't wait for the sailing season to start! As I sit here in a March snow storm, it seems like it will never get here!

Excerpt from our local paper, Harbor News:
https://www.zip06.com/news/20180306/...ix-plan-funded

"Open Moorings—Sign Up Now"

"With the North Cove dredging project nearly done, the HMCn wants boaters to know there has never been a better time to apply for a North Cove mooring. Last season, HMC had 100 moorings. This season, now that the harbor waters have been returned to design depth, more moorings can be added. This season, there will be 150 North Cove moorings available—for the first time in a long time, there is not a waiting list.

Applications for a North Cove mooring can be downloaded from the HMC’s page of the town website The Official Site of Town of Old Saybrook, CT or they can be obtained from the First Selectman’s Office at Town Hall."

Bill Sullivan
----------------
Allied Seawind 30
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to billsull For This Useful Post:
HUGOSALT (03-10-2018)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome