SailNet Community - View Single Post - For Pete's sake! I just want a speed transducer!
View Single Post
post #24 of Old 03-27-2018
skipmac
Aspiring Boat Bum

Re: For Pete's sake! I just want a speed transducer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlsmith View Post
I'm not ware of any chartplotters that will transmit data on to the network like this. Generally you have N2K enabled devices such as depth/speed transducers, air temperature/pressure sensors, wind instruments, etc, which connect to the NMEA2000 network and transmit data. Then you have other N2K enabled devices such as chartplotters or data display units that connect to the network and read data from it to display.
Thought about this some more and maybe this is a better answer.

On an N2K network there are some devices that generate and transmit data like fathometer, wind, speed, etc. These cannot receive anything as they are dumb transmitters and don't need any other data anyway.

Then there are devices that receive data like chart plotters, AP brains, etc. but are smart devices and can also transmit data like a plotter sending waypoints to an AP brain. This I have verified with my setup.

So once a device that can send/receive data is connected to the network I believe all the information that device has is then available on the network for any other device that can receive it.

Another example, my Simrad AP compass is a dumb device that transmits only but the data from the compass is received and used by my Garmin plotter and the Simrad AP computer.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome