SailNet Community - View Single Post - For Pete's sake! I just want a speed transducer!
View Single Post
post #27 of Old 03-27-2018
Maine Sail
Super Moderator

Re: For Pete's sake! I just want a speed transducer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
What I'm looking for is a thru-hull speed transducer that will send data onto an NMEA 2000 network so all my instruments can use it. Preferably it would 1.25" diameter to fit in the hole from the old (no longer functioning) device.

On the surface, if anyone can point me to a model that fits that need, I'd be eternally grateful.

On a deeper level, I'm wondering if it's just me, or is it insanely difficult to find information about this stuff? Looking at the advertisements, they say nothing about mounting dimensions or even the data technology in use. Especially with the data technology, it's frequently some proprietary protocol that may or may not be NMEA 2000 compatible.

Maybe I'm just impatient or really bad at research ... but it feels like I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find out important bits of information about the equipment I'm considering buying. Is it just me?

If you don't want to replace the thru-hull fitting then you'll really need to know what is on the label/tag at the transducer end of the cable in terms of model/part #.

With this data you can then go through any legitimate marine electronics dealer/installer who has a Gemeco account, and order the correct transducer to fit in that thru-hull.

The current Gemeco catalog is 671 pages long so without the correct part numbers you're shooting at darts blind folded. Gemeco is the wholesale/distribution arm of Airmar.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome