SailNet Community - View Single Post - For Pete's sake! I just want a speed transducer!
View Single Post
post #33 of Old 03-28-2018
BarryL

SONAR vs DEPTH

Hey,

As far as I know, if you want a SONAR display instead of just depth, you can't use a N2K transducer. The only way to get SONAR data is by connecting the transducer to the plotter / black box / etc.

If you do this, most likely the MFD will put DEPTH information onto the N2K network so the depth can be displayed by other devices. But if you want to see the bottom, or find fish or anything else like that you can only do it at the MFD.

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If I purchase new transducers I definitely will not go with Raymarine. Either an N2K transducer or one that connects directly to my Garmin or Simrad.

As far as I can tell and according to Raymarine techs SeatalkNG is 100% N2K compatible at least in the software and communications protocols but they do use proprietary connectors which I find pointless and annoying. Sure it only takes a cable with Ray to standard connectors but still.

Didn't really consider whether you were commenting specifically on my choice or the technique in general but I considered it a kludge from the getgo so not to worry, we're on the same page with that.

It was my first foray into N2K but it added a lot to the learning curve to figure how to get the Raymarine integrated into the rest. All the Garmin and Simrad stuff was 100% standard cable, plug and play. Yes my Ray stuff was previous generation but even new generation takes some messing about to connect.

Don't recall what setup the OP has for plotters but if his existing setup has a transducer connected to a plotter or he can get a cheaper transducer for an existing plotter that is N2K then that could be a cheap and easy solution.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome