SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catamaran Knocked Down Near St George Island
View Single Post
post #21 of Old 04-15-2018
Arcb

Re: Catamaran Knocked Down Near St George Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
Guess I hang with the small percentage.
So do I, I wear a 406 PLB on my lifejacket as well as a submersible VHF, but I haven't found that to be common practice by majority of coastal sailors that I have personally observed. What I have typically seen is more line with the video SD posted above on the Catalina. Street clothes, key hole life jackets, no PLBs or radios. I am not just talking about the Gulf of Mexico, that's how I see a lot of sailors equipped every where I have sailed.

Even for the folks who carry an EPIRB there are challenges when you have a sudden capsize like that. If its manually activated, you have to be able to get to it to activate it. Not so easy on a capsized cat. Even a float free auto activate EPIRB is going to have challenges with a sudden capsize of a catamaran. It has to be submerged enough to activate the hydrostatic release and to get a clear signal it may have to somehow float free of the wreckage of the inverted catamaran.

I am all for EPIRBs, PLBs, SPOTS, Delormes etc, but there are limitations to each in certain situations.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome