SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catamaran Knocked Down Near St George Island
View Single Post
post #23 of Old 04-15-2018
outbound

Re: Catamaran Knocked Down Near St George Island

We all screw up but this event speaks to the old saw “a mono takes care of you....you take care of a multi”.
A vessel totally dependent on form stability won’t have the opportunity to spill its wind off of the tops of its sails.
Motorboat people make much of the ratio between structure above versus below the waterline ever since Beebe tried to define what makes a good ocean going long distance trawler. One would note when going without massive ballast boats like the artnaua are 58’ long so pitching and pitchpoling aren’t a concern.
From the little I understand you can create a very safe multi (not what is stuck in charter) once you get over~45’ don’t build a wedding cake and have adequate hull/empty net before the bridge deck. Agree this Gemini didn’t meet these criteria and paid for it.
Personally if things in my life were different I’d be on a multi but it would be one conceived from the beginning for open ocean service.
What’s been said about shallow water is so true. Hence my aversion to the NJ shore, the Carolina capes and even the mouth of LI sound in a blow.
So the criteria for good heavy weather survivability is predicated on the same physics but varies with type of vessel. Think of 28’BCCs or contessas or west sails or mini transats or pogos. Then think of what you need in power or multihull to reach the same level.
Believe that although multis have so many advantages over monos that it’s this factor that means monos will continue to be produced.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome