SailNet Community - View Single Post - Garmin ChartPlotter Confusion
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-19-2018 Thread Starter
CapnRon47

Garmin ChartPlotter Confusion

With Memorial Day Sales fast approaching (already started) I am looking to upgrade my 10 year old 5" screen Garmin 545. I have downloaded multiple manuals and installation guides, but I am still a bit confused as to which model can do what. Maybe someone here, with the appropriate model, can help me out. I am interested in a 7" display (no room for bigger),(models under consideration are Garmin EchoMap Chirp, PLus and 741sx). I prefer having button assisted operation as that is what I am used to, but the touchscreen model (741sx) seems very popular. I want the display to have sail assist features; like laylines, start line, race timer, and wind gauge. I need to be able to connect nmea0183 instruments, plus AIS radio (which models have multiple NMEA0183 connections and which have N2K in the 7" screen?). Which models have possible future Radar capability? Garmin cleverly does not show you the back image with what model has what connectors. They all seem to connect thru the mount. The local West Marine is not much more help as they only have demo displays on hand.

I am open to comments and suggestions.
thanks,

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome