SailNet Community - View Single Post - Garmin ChartPlotter Confusion
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 05-19-2018 Thread Starter
CapnRon47

Re: Garmin ChartPlotter Confusion

Yes, well that is the case for most sailboats in places where the bottom has 'hard' things. I am fortunate in that regard for at least 2 reasons; here in coastal NC the bottom is mostly silt and running aground, while a nuisance, does no damage; and I happen to have a swing keel sailboat (a Clearwater 35') where both the keel and the rudder swing up, in that case I draw 1' 10"! Forward looking Sonar certainly would be handing for finding anchorages, but my main interest in the newer CP's is the improved instrument displays for sailing as I previously mentioned. I realize most of these models are aimed at fisherman, but I 'think' the software is all very similar and all have these display pages as well. At least that is what I am trying to find out. I am not one to buy something new just to have the latest and greatest, but about 5 years ago both Garmin and B&G came out with models with sailing instrument displays and I am hoping to finally upgrade to one of them. I prefer the Garmin Charts and B&G Cps have some connectivity issues (only N2K).

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome