SailNet Community - View Single Post - proof i am not a goddess
View Single Post
post #21 of Old 05-21-2018
eherlihy
Learning the HARD way...

Re: proof i am not a goddess

Zee,

You may not be a goddess, but you are a diety (of some sort) to many of us...

The only times that I have had students fall into the water in 5 years of teaching sailing has been at the dock. I stress this to new students. I also always have students pass their items to a crewmember that is aboard, rather than carry their backpack/water bottle/etc. aboard. This way they have two free hands and are balanced.

My boat has a swim platform and a swim ladder that I store in the UP position. I secure the ladder with a line which is simply wrapped several times around the pushpit railing BUT NOT TIED. If I were to fall in, I can simply pull on the ladder several times and the line will unwrap itself from the railing, and deploy. This is one of the reasons that I consider a swim platform a necessary safety feature, but acknowledge that many boats do not have one.

For you, I suggest that you simply leave a swim ladder attached to the side/transom of your boat while in the marina.

Glad you and Bubba are OK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome