SailNet Community - View Single Post - proof i am not a goddess
View Single Post
post #23 of Old 05-21-2018
capta
Master Mariner

Re: proof i am not a goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
"Don't fall in" is good advice, and should be plan A for everyone. However, an accidental swim ought not to be fatal by default. Hence, IMHO some means of getting back aboard/ashore ought to be arranged in any well-found boat.
An "accidental swim" IS fatal by default in most cases, if one goes over the side in the ocean!
Why would one be any less careful in a slip or at anchor? Many who do go for an unintended swim hit their head on the way down, so no ladder or system would be of help in that case.
I do not prescribe to the philosophy that "$hit happens", barring alcohol involvement. In over 50 years of pretty much full time boating, including some pretty dangerous stuff on tugs, work and fishing boats, nobody's ever unintentionally fallen overboard from any vessel I was on or operating.
A prudent mariner is much more into prevention than cure.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome