SailNet Community - View Single Post - proof i am not a goddess
View Single Post
post #24 of Old 05-21-2018
MarkofSeaLife

Dock
Re: proof i am not a goddess

I haven't read any of the other responses as I haven't had time - and you're all idiots anyway.

(Notice the Smiley made that all better?)

Anyway, idiots, listen to me....:

Falling off the boat or dock is the way MOST solo sailors die.

No, not out there sailing, but by falling off the boat or dock or dinghy when they are nicely reposited in some calm waterway at anchor or in a marina.

They die because they fall in and cant get out.

Usually alcohol helps.

Andrew, the A in CaptA was in Grenada when at least 2 solo sailors died in the same f***ing bay!
Some old derro walking out of the bar near the boat yard, and the old derro with the catamaran.
Both had had a few beers... the guy at the dinghy dock stepped onto his tube(?) and slipped off(?) and fell backwards(?) and hit his head on the dock(?) and therefore couldn't get back up onto the dock. BUT the dock didn't have a ladder anyway. Sure it was only 10 yards from shore but that's a long way when you are solo, drunk and old.

The other guy left the same bar, dinghied to his catamaran and, well, how many ???'s do you need... he was found floating. His swim ladder wasn't down so he probably fell in and couldn't get back inside his dinghy or onto his boat. He died at a stupid time as he was just managing a rapprochement with his daughter.

So this is a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Zee! You are lucky to be alive!!!!!!!!!

So how do I overcome drunken late night debauchery?

Every time I get into the dinghy when I am sober I get into it the way I will get into it when I am drunk. Learn sober and you will do the same pissed to the eye-balls: I sit my butt on the dock and put my feet into the dinghy and then slide my butt into the dink. I never, ever, ever, step onto a dinghy tube. Why not? Because they can be slippery with salt, or after the bar extremely slippery with dew and salt.

Getting out of the dink is a similar, rehearsed method with my swim platform. I started doing that after the Australian smart-ass boating magazine journalist died when he was climbing up the side of his boat. He splashed in and couldn't get up.

Now I leave the swim ladder down.
Many people with cats leave a bit of carpet dangling over the side so cats can get a grip and get back on board... but they forget themselves!

Finally, if you are at a marina without emergency ladders every few meters COMPLAIN! You're Americans, FFS, your best ability is complaining! So get up the marinas butt until they have ladders... because it may be your butt that's saved.

Now, give me another beer so I can test out all this BS...

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
zeehag (05-22-2018)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome