SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hardware Question Part 2 - other assorted thingies
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 06-05-2018 Thread Starter
Nemesis98

Hardware Question Part 2 - other assorted thingies

Hi again

I have been researching how to rig small sailboats and comparing what I find to what my Nomad 14 has, and think I might get how to rig it
I do have questions on certain hardware items that are in the cockpit though..so here goes:

1. Pic: 'Jib Pulley on mast' - is that what this one is for? It's located on the front of the mast, near where the stay & shrouds connect. Is this for the jib halyard and ties off at a cleat at the foot of the mast on one side (there are two cleats - guessing the other is for the main halyard)

2. Pic: 'Downhall rig' - There are two pulleys, one a standard one, the other with a jam cleat. Each in front and in back of the mast tabernacle (is that the right term?). Are these for the downhall line to connect too? Going down and thru the front pulley, under the mast foot, and thru the other pulley and jam cleat? Seems weird as all the downhall lines I have seen are at the rear of the mast, but if this pulley was for that, it puts that in front of the mast? There is a second pulley with jam cleat further aft past the daggerboard, which I assume is for the main sheet

3. Pics: 'Loop starboard side' and 'Pulley port side' - what the heck are these for? I am clueless about these

I also came across the term and component 'Boomvang' Do I need one, do I have the right hardware for one? What is it for?

I did figure out my gooseneck and will be ordering that (thanks for all those that helped me figure that one out)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jib pulley on mast.jpg (2.86 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg downhall rig.jpg (764.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg pulley port side front.jpg (730.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg loop starboard side front.jpg (320.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Nemesis98; 06-05-2018 at 07:12 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome