SailNet Community - View Single Post - Obtaining Liveaboard in Longbeach / LA area
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 06-10-2018
S/V Artemis
The bow is the pointy end

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAbyss View Post
Hi Artemis,

Thank you for your response. Marina Del Rey is actually my first desire as far as marinas go because it is the closest to my work and a desirable location so this is very encouraging to hear as like you I was discouraged by what I initially heard in regards to liveaboards.

If you are willing I would love to be able to ask you a couple questions specifically (about monthly living costs including slip fee, hookups, pump outs and what not as well as your general experience living aboard) I will message you my contact info if that is ok.

It looks like you purchased/ owned a boat prior to getting the liveaboard slip so information on survey fees and what is required / inspected on a liveaboard prior to approval would be helpful.

I am looking at 30 to 35 ft boats for liveaboard purpose but am worried of making the jump prior to figuring the ins and outs of liveaboards.

As mentioned in previous forum responses I will start by visiting the Marina and talking with the office/dock master.

I will be a good neighbor and have a very steady income to show. I am a single professional looking for a calm quite area to make the sea my home.
I would get yourself a good broker. Then pick up a copy of The Mariner and The Argonaut. Find yourself a surveyor and have a hull survey, rigging survey, and engine survey done. Expect to pay whatever the marina charges per foot plus a live aboard fee. The fee could range from a couple of hundred to up to 60 percent of the slip fee added on. A liveaboard inspection is free, and conducted by a volunteer deputy with LACSD. The permit is issued by him and is renewable annually. The application is online, and it must have a sign off from your dockmaster.

We closed on our boat two days before finding a liveaboard slip. We brought pictures, and our survey to the marina office to meet the dockmaster.

As far as wanting to know the ins and outs of living on a boat prior to making the jump...watch some youtube vids of folks living and sailing. There is a ton of useful info. Or, just do it. Every boat is different, and everyones experience transitioning from land to water is different.

The only hookup I use is electricity. It is included in my liveaboard fee. We either pay Popeye to pump us out, or we do it ourselves. 35 bucks vs free. Whatever boat you decide on...make sure you are handy, dont skimp on tools, and approach things with a ton of patience.

Finally...there are a ton of folks who live on boats who never use them. We are sailors...we take our boat out at least once a week. For us living on our boat just makes the amount of time spent getting ready to be on the water exponentially shorter than if we still lived in a house. Being out on the water is our drivng force.

svartemis.wordpress.com

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome