SailNet Community - View Single Post - Talking Husband into Living on a Sailboat
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 06-12-2018
SanderO

Re: Talking Husband into Living on a Sailboat

This is a wonderful and do-able plan... But as you move forward the reality will hone, revise, edit your plan.

I sailed to the Caribe from NY and lived aboard for 4 yrs using my savings. When they got thin I had to return to NYC and my profession and work again. I of course kept the boat which is why I post on this forum.

I met several families with very small kids and infants... including a Norwegian couple whose babies were born while cruising.

Shiva, a Contest36s, was bought new in 85 and upgraded for offshore and cruising over 5 years. I took off in the Fall of 91. Lots of work... enjoyable, expensive and somewhat challenging. But in the end I had confidence in every system installed on board. 3 decades of ownership on... most of those "systems" have seen one or two or even 3 upgrades. Owning a boat is a work in progress. My boat turned out to be ideal for the task... roomy, dry to sail, fast passages (150nm/day) large galley, separate nav desk, aft cabin with a double, a V berth and a comfy head. The boat is no longer made so if it appeals to you go for a used. Several rig and keel configs... world class build.

There are many boats which can work for you.

For cruising you will want a stout reliable below decks auto pilot. Very spendy. Install yourself a must. I have an Alpha 3000 which does NOT interface GPS steering data. I prefer to set the course. Keeps me engaged all the time.

You'll also want to have AIS and probably radar... useful for night sailing and fog which doesn't happen in the tropics.

Charting device... Ipod, fixed mount plotter, smart phone... all work fine. You should have redundancy.

Communication... SSB is hardly used but you can talk to anyone anywhere... if they have a phone or make a high sea radio telephone call... get NOAA weather and so on. Satphone can be rented even for the offshore passages only.

Safety - GPS tracker, EPIRP, MOB trackers and so on... jack lines, inflatable harnesses, strobe and flares. Acquire just before heading off.

There is much more.

Exploit the forum... there is a lot of wisdom here... Your life, your decisions, you decide. Inform your decisions with knowledge and wisdom of others.... Once you get into this... you'll be assisting others.

Fair winds and following seas!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome