SailNet Community - View Single Post - Talking Husband into Living on a Sailboat
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 06-13-2018 Thread Starter
Lonestaralaskan

Re: Talking Husband into Living on a Sailboat

Thank you for the great responses and encouragement. We do have alot to learn, and that is part of the fun and excitement!

I'm a lifelong learner, and my husband is great at figuring out how to fix just about anything.

With two young kids aboard, we will take every precaution to make sure we know what we're doing before we venture out. We'll be sailing out of San Diego with instructors for the next couple of years, and when we buy the boat, we'll hopefully launch from Kemah, TX. When we are ready to "take off", plan to coastal cruise the Gulf to Florida before we head south (we looked at the ICW, but that turned out to be mostly a motoring experience and not much sailing). I'm hanging on to my Dad's ashes that he asked to be sprinkled in the Gulf, so we hope to do that from our sailboat.

We are super safety conscious, and do not intend to put our sweet babies at undue risk. I would like to note that driving on the freeway is probably just as dangerous as sailing, if not more, and we do that every day without even thinking about how precarious it is. At the mercy of drunk drivers, people texting on their cellphones, and other crazies on the road. In the ocean, its mostly your own skill and the mercy of the sea. Which is more dangerous? I guess it depends on the situation.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome