SailNet Community - View Single Post - Talking Husband into Living on a Sailboat
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 06-13-2018
Jeff_H
Administrator

Re: Talking Husband into Living on a Sailboat

I did not realize that there were kids involved. As much as possible they should be involved in the learning process so that they feel like members of the crew rather than hostages in their parent's dream.

I strongly suggest that you start by buying a small boat (25-30 foot) in San Diego and sail it a lot and maintain it on your own before trying to buy your ultimate boat. The wind conditions in San Diego are perfect to learn to sail. I also suggest that you try to get out on race boats which are a super way to learn about sail trim, and reading wind and water for only the cost of sailing gloves and boat shoes. I would also suggest trying to sail on as many different boats as you can. That is easiest to do if you have a boat in a marina where you can talk to other boat owners, or you belong to a sailing club.

Those kinds of experiences will help shape your priorities and preferences when you start looking for the boat that you end up taking voyaging.

While it may seem counter-intuitive, if you don't know what you are doing, or pick the wrong boat the ocean is far more dangerous than the highway. While you see people throw around statistics that make the highways sound more dangerous, I think these are pretty specious comparisons. The reality is that the dangers of offshore voyaging needs to be taken very seriously. Trying to compare being offshore to being on the highway doesn't really provide any useful information.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome