SailNet Community - View Single Post - Talking Husband into Living on a Sailboat
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 06-13-2018
Arcb

Re: Talking Husband into Living on a Sailboat

^^^ I beleive it was mentioned in another thread the children are actually babies; an infant and a 1 year old. Which means, in my opionion, the parents must not just learn to sail, but they must each learn to single hand effectively. Two toddlers/very small children can be a handful. My 4 year old still requires constant adult supervision on the boat.

I like the above idea of getting a small keel boat (maybe 24-30 ft) to learn on. The parents can go through the process of learning to set up the small boat for single handing, and then each learn to single hand the boat, before going through the process of learning to single hand a big cruising sailboat.

Maybe that will convince the husband too, once he is confident that you can each handle a boat safely, he will be less apprehensive. He might just be being practical.

I know this is her sailnet, but I have lived aboard and cruised wirh babies/small children, so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome