SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crab Pots, friend or foe
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 06-22-2018 Thread Starter
Don0190
bell ringer

Crab Pots, friend or foe

I learned to sail in the Northeast and spent 7 years sailing there. In the NE there are lobster pots EVERYWHERE!!!!!! You can walk across them to shore sometimes and they are even right in the middle of the channel. Even out 20+ miles from the shore in 100' depth you will come across one and my theory is that they have a magnetic attraction to fiberglass because even if it is the only one in a 10 mile radius you will be going right to it. And there's not just 1 trap on that float, there may be 10+ on a long "stop your boat dead it's tracks" daisy chain.

But down "south" there are crab pots instead and I've read how they are "everywhere". But after 2 years now I feel there are a lot of them, but it is nothing compared to the lobster pot population. And they aren't dropped in the channels and from watching them it appears there's only 1 trap to a float. Another thing I've become aware of for the crab pots is that they aren't really in deep water. They seem to be on depth contours starting right about 6' and less. To me this has become a great value as I can almost navigate into a creek etc. based on the crab pots! I went into a creek the other day that was narrow (probably wouldn't even have risked it 2 years ago) and staying between the lines of pots I was in the deep water (the 8' water). And coming around some point I can tell where the shoal is, because that's where the pots are! What a plus for those of us new to these spots.

So to you crab pot waters sailors/boaters:

Are crab pots your friend, or your foe?

I vote friend!

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Don0190; 06-22-2018 at 04:41 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome