SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #692 of Old 06-30-2018
TakeFive

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Were anchored at Dobbins Island. Well be out of here in a couple hours before too many crazies arrive.

We left Rock Hall around 2 yesterday, after resolving a couple issues related to extended non-use of the boat (one water tank was foul, needed shocking, etc). Depth finder never missed a beat, so one of the things I did must have worked. Winds were light at first, but I was determined to sail, so we settled for 2 kts at the beginning. We saw dolfins(!!!) just outside the Swan Point bar. Id never heard of them coming this far up the bay. Winds picked up nicely (but still gentle) for the second half of our trip, allowing us to hit 5-5.5 kts sustained, and a brief moment at 6 kts. It was a great sail, and much needed given our lack of sailing time this year. We arrived around 5:30, a little longer than normal for this trip.

There were about 18 boats anchored near the beach, but all but a few were gone by sunset. Immediately after anchoring we jumped in for a swim. The dog is a good swimmer, but seemed a little panicked, clinging to my wife a lot. He took to the dinghy ride real well, taking in all the wildlife around us. First we dinghied to the beach and walked around outside the high water mark, then we motored over to Grays Creek and Atlantic Marina, just to check things out. Dinner was grilled chicken, corn on the cob, and canteloupe.

I spent an hour installing the Navisafe lights for a nighttime trip to shore, but we decided to take the dog on a walk around the boat first just in case he suddenly catches on and pees on the green mat. I turned on the deck lights so he would see it lying in front of the mast, he sniffed around it (I had taken a urine specimen at home and poured it onto the mat) and immediately peed. Eureka! Big reward! This morning we did the same thing, and he peed on command.

Its been great having the dog, but with the heat coming and the inability to take him into air conditioned restaurants, were probably going to return to Rock Hall today and take him home. We hope to return to the boat tomorrow and head out for a couple nights by ourselves. Well definintely bring him along again when temperatures are a little more moderate.

Before leaving well pump out the bleachy shock water and rinse the tank, and also empty the other tank and shock it as a precaution (it seems fine, and were using it now).

Sorry we missed you RZS, but sounds like you were out earlier in the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 71D83CFF-0430-43F8-8AA0-D5DFBF7CBF10.jpeg (2.22 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpeg 0D8FEBB7-9522-4A49-A16E-C625B26CD7F8.jpeg (1.37 MB, 8 views)

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-30-2018 at 07:27 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome