SailNet Community - View Single Post - Words to the wise!
View Single Post
post #28 of Old 06-30-2018
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Words to the wise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Is that some sort of drogue? I was wondering is such conditions they did not have one out? I try not to judge their actions because they have a world of sailing experience over me. Well not quite the world but close.
I don't like drogues, period. I believe the boat is safer being able to be steered out from under a breaking wave, kinda like a surfboard.
But that's my personal preference, from my own experiences, and I do not advocate that my preference is correct for anyone else.
I will say though, I fished that coast from Mexico to Alaska on crabbers and salmon boats as a teen, and it is one of the most consistently rough and dangerous places I have ever been. Hurricane season in the Caribbean is a cakewalk in comparison. After all, you can avoid the hurricanes, especially with internet weather that we have available today, but that coast has few safe harbors and even if you know bad weather is coming, there's little you can do to avoid it, if offshore.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome