SailNet Community - View Single Post - Important Things (You Know Now), To Look For When Buying A Used Sailboat?
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 07-05-2018
basssears

Re: Important Things (You Know Now), To Look For When Buying A Used Sailboat?

Inspecting the Aging Sailboat is great... and yes, make your own checklist and do your own "survey" on every boat you look at it. If I had done that on the first boat we tried to buy I would have caught a bunch of pretty basic things and not had to spend the money on having a professional surveyor tell me not to buy the boat (he was right, I just could have figured it out myself with a little more structure to my looking at those first boats).

We decided we didn't really care about the electronics we were more interested in a fundamentally sound boat, and we're happy we did it that way, the electronics thing is pretty easy to take care of with some basic depth/speed and then a laptop or tablet to navigate with.

Biggest thing I got lucky with was our dinghy... wasn't really on our radar as a big factor, ended up with boat that came with a Walker Bay that is perfect for our use and just fits nicely on the foredeck when we want it out of the water... having to buy that after buying the boat would have been a big headache and a few grand potentially. So make sure you check out the dinghy situation when buying.

Other consideration (pretty obvious, but worth repeating to onesself) is how equipped it is... solid hull and rig and engine and tranny are key, obviously, but don't discount how much money you might end up spending on things that aren't part of the boat itself (safety equipment, PFD's, fire extinguishers, anchors & rode, dock lines, life rings, etc etc)

-- Bass

Hailey, Idaho & Bellingham, WA
Sailing blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome