SailNet Community - View Single Post - Important Things (You Know Now), To Look For When Buying A Used Sailboat?
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 07-05-2018
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Important Things (You Know Now), To Look For When Buying A Used Sailboat?

Another thing, but on the plus side for us, was the dodger/bimini set up on our boat. We can easily stand up and move the whole length of the cockpit under the bimini, with inches to spare (about 6'2"). On several sisterships, their biminis are at least 6" shorter and I could not stand up under them, even at the helm. That really is a huge deal IMO; crouching over to steer and move around the cockpit! The second thing that we lucked out on is that our dodger has clear side panels, not solid cloth. It may not sound like a big deal, but with the solid panels it's like entering a tunnel to go below, and you don't have 360 degree visibility if you are just popping your head up the companionway in a squall or to check out a boat anchoring alongside, so you have to go out into the cockpit.
These are things we would never have known or thought we just had to live with, and we just got lucky. Now, of course, we know better. Also, if you are having a dodger/bimini built, think about these things.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 07-05-2018 at 01:57 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome