SailNet Community - View Single Post - New owner of a Parker Dawson 26 Ketch
View Single Post
post #88 of Old 07-08-2018
stagg

Re: New owner of a Parker Dawson 26 Ketch

For those who want some nail-biting suspense.

SV Eastwind was Launched this long holiday weekend at Grand Marais MN, and is currently snuggled in at Windigo, Isle Royale.
I am stuck on dry land, and hence am providing shore-side support and SAR based on their float plan.

The weather up there is rather serious at the moment, but Isle Royale is basically a series of Fjords and Hurricane holes radiating out from a spikey rock center.
So they are safe and sound, with a plan to sail from one bombproof anchorage to the next. Eventually crossing to the Keweenaw Peninsula..... and lets just see what the weather allows after that.

Most Recent Report:
N 47 54.730
W 089 09.473

Overnighting at Windigo floating dock. One motorsailer at anchor in Harbor, one sport fisher tied up at ferry dock. Otherwise the place is empty. Much much warmer in here even though the wind is howling.

Uneventful trip, too much motoring as the promised wind did not materialize till late in the day.

Did pass fairly close to Rock of Ages and got a good picture.

Saw only Seahunter and 3 local fishing boats all day.

Note that Google phone has some degree of coverage at Windigo slightly up the hill.

End Report:

I will update Notable events, but we don't expect a lot of pictures during the trip. The connection to the outside world is pretty spotty up there (perfect reason to go)
Lots of cool pictures will show up afterwards I'm sure.

If you are out sailing Lake Superior in the next couple of weeks, be sure to wave if see a 26ft Center cockpit sailboat. White with green trim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grand Marais Harbor SV EW.jpg (142.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by stagg; 07-08-2018 at 03:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to stagg For This Useful Post:
MrRoger (08-17-2018)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome