SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where to go for winter sailing? Florida or California?
View Single Post
post #37 of Old 07-20-2018
rbrasi

Re: Where to go for winter sailing? Florida or California?

My boat is in Marina Del Rey and I can fill you in on these:

1) Warm weather obviously
It's always around 72F during the day here, which is cool for me (I reside in Nevada), but it's perfect 'shorts and flip flops' weather. It's a little cooler in the winter, as was stated earlier in the thread. Also a little wet. LOL about mudslides- talk about thread drift....

2) Cool places to weekend sail to, or places where I can cruise to and still work during the day with access to internet and electricity
Also mentioned was Catalina, which is great year round, as are Channel Islands, though I can't vouch for the connectivity therein. The wind doesn't pick up until just after 11am and turns off like a faucet around 8pm. The wind is always fair, rarely over 12kt and swells vary from 2-3 to 4-5' regularly. The forecast is always pretty close. If you like yacht clubs, you can hop down the coast and use free slips for three days at most of them if you are a member that has reciprocals.

3) Fun area surrounding the home base marina/mooring/whatever
There is a path that runs from Redondo Beach, North through several beach communities, past my dock and many others in MDR and continues to Santa Monica. I routinely bike or run in either direction, depending on mood. There are more bars/restaurants around here than I can frequent. I have my favorites and the selection ranges from dive to super trendy within a stones throw. Lots of young professionals here, as West LA is basically an industry town (Movies/TV/Tech). Don't bring your car. Currently there are several basins under construction (dock replacement) and there will be an abundance of available slips soon. Prices are roughly $12'/month non-liveaboard. Add 50% for liveaboard.
Hope that helps!

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome