SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pulling down head sail in strong winds?
View Single Post
post #15 of Old 07-27-2018
deniseO30
One of None

Re: Pulling down head sail in strong winds?

Translation = y'all been trolled again! Roflmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitrock63 View Post
All good points. Ummm, my Oday 30 sails very well with the full main with very strong winds. At 25 mph winds, with just the main, it sails great. Regarding the 150... that particular day I intended to use that sail under strong winds, mostly to see what the boat would do. I found out that it sails like a racing boat with those conditions (as you could imagine). I didn't lower the sail because I was worried - only because my helper didn't have enough wraps on the sheet and was getting tired of holding them since I wouldn't let him cleat them.

What I usually do, is put the boat as close to the wind as I can, and then, when it crosses over parallel drop the sail as quick as I can while it's over the boat. But on very strong winds, that fine line of exactly parallel (or, in Irons) is a very close point, so close in fact that it doesn't exist long enough to barely get the sail down. End result is getting beat to death by the sail while fighting it down.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome