SailNet Community - View Single Post - beathing apparatus for or bottom maintenaince
View Single Post
post #27 of Old 07-31-2018
contrarian

Re: beathing apparatus for or bottom maintenaince

I'm with RegU on this one. I think the HookahMax is a good compromise for cleaning the bottom and clearing any wraps that you might have on the prop. I tried the pole method that was mentioned earlier to clean the bottom but when I took the boat out into some really clear water and dove on it, I could see what a poor job I was doing with just a brush on a stick. My sailing mentor was an old school dive instructor and only used cylinders for surface air as opposed to a compressor or hookah system. I think the hookah is fine for shallow diving but personally I would not dive more than 10' deep with one. I also think it might be a good idea to get certified for scuba even though it's not required for hookah. There are some little tidbits that you will be taught in the class that may save your life. Like not holding your breath while breathing compressed air! I know there were a couple of hookah related fatalities last lobster season in the Keys, probably in not more than 15-20' feet of water. Not sure what the details were but it definitely shows that while hookah is relatively safe there are definitely things that can go wrong.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome