SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beneteau seacock and thru-hull response
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 08-02-2018 Thread Starter
Minnewaska

Re: Beneteau seacock and thru-hull response

Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
If I remember it right: CE standards requests thru hulls to last at least 5 years, which means replacement after that time.
I canít say if thatís true, but I do recall that is Beneteauís recommendation. IF itís true, it goes to show the CE is a manufacturing standard, not a safety standard. All the EU countries came together to agree on the minimums, so one wouldnít undercut the other.

While our boat has more holes than Swiss cheese (a fact that is also not Swan-like, but Iím fine with), Iím trying to mentally calcukate the additional cost to provide proper thru hull equip. Labor would be the same. I can also live with adhesive against a proper flange, as opposed to the hard core backing plate and through bolted. Maybe another grand in parts on our boat? Iím the second owner (bought when she was 4 yrs old), but have the POís invoice. Fully fitted he paid roughly $800k, in 2004. I canít imagine another grand was a factor.

Beneteau Group (J and B) does a great job of providing bang for your buck. But there is a fine line between value engineering and cutting corners. They stepped over the line with this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome