SailNet Community - View Single Post - How bad is my main sail?
View Single Post
post #23 of Old 08-10-2018
Sailormon6

Re: How bad is my main sail?

First things first... Learn basic sail trimming techniques. A poorly trimmed new sail is no better than an old, baggy sail. Don't invest a lot of money in a new sail at least until you can trim it well enough to benefit from it. You can learn by sailing with others who have experience, or you can learn by reading, or by asking questions here, online.

The most basic adjustments to the shape of the mainsail are the luff tension and the foot tension. If your boat doesn't have a means of adjusting those tensions, you need to add those devices and practice using them (an outhaul and a downhaul or similar device.) Generally, you increase tension on them in stronger winds and ease them in light air. I see lots of experienced sailors who put about the same amount of tension on the luff and foot every time they sail. They don't understand how much difference it makes to get it just right. A full sail shape powers it up and a flat shape depowers it.

The picture doesn't show much, but I don't see anything wrong with the mainsail.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome