SailNet Community - View Single Post - How bad is my main sail?
View Single Post
post #24 of Old 08-10-2018 Thread Starter
tschmidty

Re: How bad is my main sail?

@jephotog thanks, but as I mentioned earlier it is a jury rigged roller set flying, I do know to hank it on if I wanted to get a real sail shape. It just looks scary to me how baggy the bottom of that main is. Will try adding some tension via outhaul and downhaul and see how it goes. The other issue is I feel like the forestay is too long and I can't get enough tension on it to get a good luff shape on jib. As it is the mast has a bit of backward rake so probably first step is replacing the standing rigging and being able to get proper tension.

Thanks for the offer @bristol299bob , I'll take you up on it when I get my trailer fixed and can travel again. Love Oriental although the sail back from Ocracoke to Oriental always ends up being an upwind battle. And yeah, Lake Norman at the Lake Norman Sailing Club.

@sailor mon, yeah that is my first step is to learn to get the most out of what I have, but good to hear that that baggy of a main at the bottom isn't inherently terrible looking. I found a couple blocks I can rig to get some purchase for the outhaul and ordered a cunningham hook.

I tried going out to the races Wednesday so start touching base, but unfortunately it rains every night here these days and this was this past Wednesday.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/se...-say/809095865

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome