SailNet Community - View Single Post - DIY Fuel Polishing?
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 08-25-2018 Thread Starter
TakeFive

Re: DIY Fuel Polishing?

I have no reason to believe that I have any major problem with my fuel. My filter plugged over a year ago, and Iím not sure when PO changed it, so have no way to know its longevity. I changed both filters then, and I changed the primary last week (proactively, without it plugging). I do know that PO used Biobor and Starbrite detergent additive, which I continue to do in addition to adding OptiLube XPD for its lubricity enhancement of low-sulfur fuel.

Every time I go below 1/2 full on my 25 gal tank, I tell myself, ďIf Iím going to do anything, now is the time.Ē The tank is very difficult to access, and thereís no known reason to remove it.

Iíll probably do nothing aside from running my fuel as low as I can before putting in fresh fuel (and keeping a jerry can onboard in case I cut it too close and run it empty). I was inquiring about pumping out the fuel and filtering it myself outside the boat mainly to extend the life of my very expensive spin-on Racor primary filter.

I actually do get a little bit of polishing when motoring because of the bypass back to the tank. So over time, the fuel does get multiple passes through the existing filters.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall, MD

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome