SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #940 of Old 08-31-2018
TakeFive

Re: 2018 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

We towed our 50 hp fishing boat (poor man's version of a Boston Whaler) down to Rock Hall and put her in the water at Long Cove ramp. Things were very rough due to long fetch, so we went across in the lee of the shore and jumped in and waterskiied back and forth, thinking we were still in Long Cove. Then I noticed an island that looked familiar, and realized we weren't in Long Cove at all, but had gone all the way up to Cacaway Island. Funny how the real life surroundings were so different from the way it looked on the chart. It's a lot easier to follow a chartplotter at 6 knots than it is at 22 knots!

This boat hadn't been used in two years, so I made an unpleasant discovery that there was squirrel nesting material under my floorboards. The boat had filled with a bunch of rainwater on the way to Rock Hall, and I thought I had drained it all out, but when we started out I noticed my battery box was halfway underwater. Not to worry though, I have an automatic bilge pump, which proceeded to immediately clog with all the debris. I slowed down to go back and free the clog, but my bow dropped down enough to take water over the bow. (Freak out!!!) As you can see from the pics, this boat does not have much freeboard. So I had to immediately accelerate to get the bow up, and have my wife drive while I cleared the clog (and sucked up a bunch of 2 cycle exhaust.) I finally got things fixed, and we had a great time, especially once we got to the protected shore (which I now know to be the peninsula that separates Lankford Creek from Chester River).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1831.jpg (237.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1823.jpg (128.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1824.jpg (97.9 KB, 17 views)

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome