SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Raw Water Heat Exchanger teardown, Westerbeke

4K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  eherlihy 
#1 ·
I cut open a heat exchanger. Someone might want to see this if they are trying to troubleshoot one.

#2 · (Edited)
Oh... You "may" have destroyed it for naught.

They come apart and can be re-tubed. Sometimes a tube is solder plugged

It's a very old technology also found in horizontal tube boilers called Marine boilers.

There are the exchangers as big as your engine some are even as big as a boat

Edit: they, meaning others,

the proper term is "shell in tube heat exchanger" the tubes inside are called the bundle and they are usually removable + repairable with solder or brazing the bad tube,

But, the cost is to replace small H/X's I'd probably equal or higher than replacing them with new for the non DIYer.

#4 · (Edited)
I said many, not all, or yours.

Usually one end one end comes off, the bundle slides out, O-rings or gaskets seal the header ends.
Smaller ones like what is on your engine are brazed together it doesn't mean they can't be repaired it just means it's more difficult. It is pretty much a throw away design.

#7 · (Edited)
That is the 2" x 16" bronze H/X Universal part number 303145. It is appropriate for the Universal M-12, M2-12, M-18, M-20 and M2-20. These were also used on the M25, but it is really too small for that application.

I have a 299049, which is the same H/X without the mounting straps. I pulled it off of an M25 when I upgraded it to a 3¼" H/X. This particular H/X has less than a year of use on it and is in excellent condition. You can have it for $50 (the bronze alone should be worth that) plus the cost of shipping if you want a spare. It's been sitting in my garage for over two years. Send me a PM if interested.

Attachments

#8 ·
That is the 2" x 16" bronze H/X Universal part number 303145. It is appropriate for the Universal M-12, M2-12, M-18, M-20 and M2-20. These were also used on the M25, but it is really too small for that application.

I have a 299049, which is the same H/X without the mounting straps. I pulled it off of an M25 when I upgraded it to a 3¼" H/X. This particular H/X has less than a year of use on it and is in excellent condition. You can have it for $50 (the bronze alone should be worth that) plus the cost of shipping if you want a spare. It's been sitting in my garage for over two years. Send me a PM if interested.
Thanks the meta-data!

I don't think I will need a spare any time soon, so I'll pass.

#9 ·
I remember an old-timer describing banking the coals over, straping on a rescue plank over the asbestos suit with a fire hose running and going into the firebox like a pizza on a peel .Find the leaking tube/s and plug before the subs find you behind the convoy .Kinda makes you wonder if you have what it takes. On a brighter note, if the ends of your moderately sized Ht ex are removable ,not a trinket for the recycle bin, determine if it's tubes or ?? Offending tubes can be plugged with a cedar dowel and get you to a repair shop. I carried oxygen/acycet and a selection of bronze and silver solder /flux on board and frequently fixed stuff beyond my pay scale.

#13 ·
As you should.

Realize that the Beta and the Universal/Westerbeake are both marinized Kubota tractor engines. Most of the bronze Universal engines are now over 30 years old (mine is 32) and are still going strong. These were the best solution available at that price at that time (early to mid-1980s). That's why Catalina, Ericson, O'day and other manufacturers used them in their boats.

If I were to re-power from my M25 tomorrow, I would look closely at the Beta 25.

#12 ·
there are still allot of tugs and trawlers and maybe even some larger ships that use Keel coolers for their engines, of course they'd be much larger than the little ones you see on your little Refrigeration units [emoji41]

#14 ·
Thought I'd mention an idiocintxrisy of keel coolers over H EX . The water pump under the thermostat is not positive displacement and at a long slow idle may not be circulating enough down and around.. Temp alarm and an eye on gauges a good thing. That be good with air lock in a regular hx setup too. Last time I looked, most of the fishing boats had keel coolers.

#17 ·
Westerbeke marinized diesels from several manufacturers and has gone to great lengths to make small changes so that OE parts will not fit, they have also gone some length to hide what those engines are.
Good marketing - predatory parts pricing.

i.e. They use a standard Sherwood pump and modifiy the mounting base on the pump to fit their own mount .... totally unecessary but they get to charge $400 more than the Sherwood version. I went through this last week and modified the Westerbeke mount to fit the Sherwood version. It took quite an effort to find the right Sherwood pump since Westy changed the part number and omitted their base modification from the drawing in their parts manual ............... PRICKS !

#20 ·
PM Sent - I will be in East Falmouth TOMORROW so I can deliver! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.