SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raw Water Heat Exchanger teardown, Westerbeke
View Single Post
post #18 of Old 09-05-2018
SVTatia

Re: Raw Water Heat Exchanger teardown, Westerbeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Westerbeake merged with Universal resulting in Universal/Westerbeake.

Here is a Westerbeake / Universal (or Universal / Westerbeake) that is a Kubota block;
https://westerbeke.com/category/M-25...D#mainoverview

It is based on the Kubota D950
Sorry eherlihy, if it ain't red it ain't a Westy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Westerbeke marinized diesels from several manufacturers and has gone to great lengths to make small changes so that OE parts will not fit, they have also gone some length to hide what those engines are.
Good marketing - predatory parts pricing.

i.e. They use a standard Sherwood pump and modifiy the mounting base on the pump to fit their own mount .... totally unecessary but they get to charge $400 more than the Sherwood version. I went through this last week and modified the Westerbeke mount to fit the Sherwood version. It took quite an effort to find the right Sherwood pump since Westy changed the part number and omitted their base modification from the drawing in their parts manual ............... PRICKS !
+1 boatpoker, exactly right - and I have the Mitsu parts manual for my W30B3 just in case and it was a pain to find out which model it was. But I give them a lot of attention and have never had a problem with these engines, 10 years previous boat, 2K hours + 4 years current @ 900.... knock on wood.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome